Sunday, September 29, 2013

The Hoard Part 1 : My First Dip and the Tornado Spring Saddle

Over the past few months i have acquired about 15 vintage bicycles. The hobby kind of takes on a life of its own. As I have been researching forums, auction sites, for sale sites like Craigslist i have learned a lot about the bicycle fanatic culture, but we will cover that in an expanded post. This post is meant to take a look at all of the current rides in multiple parts.

My First 3
One day, after months and months, maybe years of thinking about picking up a bike and fixing it up, I finally found two rusty babies on Craigslist.  A Huffman La France, yes the name did put me off, and a Schwinn New World. I had no idea if the bikes were rare, working, restorable or worth the time and effort. All I knew is that they were up for sale at $125, in NJ and that I had to have them! This was my first 'pick' ( I kind of hate that term given how mainstream it is. People are 'picking' at pottery barn now. Don't get me started on 'barn fresh'. When did everyone in the 5 boroughs start having barns?? ) so like I said, I was tentative to go to a strangers house and load a couple of rusty bikes into the trunk of my Toyota. So I rolled up to the place which was in a nice neighborhood. The house was of an older design and definitely needed repairs. So the guy tells me to pull into the driveway which was all dirt and has seen better days. We head into the backyard under tree branches and I am thinking the guy seems nice enough, but if he tazes me I am going to end up as a lamp shade. :-\ The bikes are his and his brothers from when they were kids. Long story short he takes $120 because I don't have a $5 on me, but he did make a face, and I got them home in one piece.

Huffman to Huffy
The Huffman I discovered through the bike's serial number is from 1947. I didn't even know bikes had serial numbers! Huffman is the name of the company we know as Huffy. They changed it in the 50s.
The Schwinn New World I am told is from 1942 as Schwinn serial codes were lost in a Chicago factory fire. ( no computer backup?? ) :-)
So where is number 3 you ask? Before I acquired the two above I stopped in another area of NJ and picked up a circa 1970s banaseat girls bike for myself daughter. :-)  This one has a deadline of the spring to be polished, clean and ready for business.

Tornado Spring Seat

So I discovered through a number of purchase offers that this seat is kind of rare. I've seen a perfect version command upwards of $500! im tempted to let it go for some other pieces i need to complete my other bikes, but then on the other hand, it would be nice to restore, or turn it in to artwork that someone could mount on their wall.


No comments:

Post a Comment