Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Italy -> Bronx -> NJ -> Staten Island

You are probably thinking that all I do is derust folding bikes, and I guess if you look over the past 2 months you would be right. :)

My first ever folding bike is a blue Italian beauty.

1960/70s Bianchi Folding Bicycle
So yes this is my first folder. I was always curious about folding bikes and once I purchased this rusty one and cleaned it up a bit I was in love and that led me to the road puppy.

So the life of this folding Bianchi ... it was made in Italy, shipped to a bike store in the Bronx, made its way to NJ some how and then ended up at its present home in Staten Island. The best part of the deal was that it was delivered right to my house!

I have come across 1 duplicate of this bike [ in red ] at Village Bike Shop in Tuckerton NJ. same exact bike, much better condition than mine with the SAME exact ugly green seat. The bike comes with a generator, light, sturmey archer hub, hand breaks and a nice metallic blue paint job. The wheels are 20x1.75. The back rim is extremelly heavy, while the front i am thinking may be a replacement given the dimpling.

I found the serial number[82312], but no one has been able to tell me an age.

Here are some before pix where you can see A LOT of rust and the seat was mashed to the lowest spot on the post and this normally wouldnt be an issue, however it was wrapped under a nut and i had to really struggle to set it right.


















I have derusted approximately 90% of the bike, put on new tubes and tires, added a rim tape which i made from cutting the old tube in to a strip of rubber and crazy gluing it at the other end when it overlapped [ it came out very nice, i should have taken a pic ], cleaned the grips, cleaned the chain - which was fun, adjusted the handlebars and seat fiasco. The below arent the best pix as it was night and these were taken with my blackberry. I'll take better ones and post an update.











SOOOO what is left you say? Lots! The brakes are disconnected, the rims have bends and need to be straightened and the shifter needs to be connected.

I promise the next post will have NOTHING to do with folding bikes! :)

1 comment: