Friday, October 11, 2013

Trexlertown Bike Swap Meet

On Sunday October 6th, I dragged my father to his first bike show. I remember growing up in a comic book house and me and my dad would go to a comic show once every 2 years or so. Brought back the memories. Thanks for coming dad.
:) This was my second bike swap/event/flea market. After 3 hours of walking through vintage bicycles a nice healthy double cheeseburger Wendy's lunch with the biggest diet coke this fine establishment had to offer was waiting for me and my dad. I have no idea why my dad is doing a double finger point at his burger.

I am thinking that each time I go to one of these fairs, they should be rated and reviewed across the same dimensions otherwise readers who potentially want to go to see me opposed to another can make a more educated decision. Now to choose the domains. Location, space, price, vendors, sponsorship, extras, bikes, bike parts.The most important factor was of course how many bikes were there, what types, how were the prices etc.

All gradings are on a 1-5 ★scale where 5 stars is the best
LOCATION : ★★★★☆
Trexlertown PA was the location. In terms of traffic from the east there was none to little going and coming back to NY mid day was relatively clear. There are the typical fastfood places to eat and there are a few attractions around the area if you wanted to take the kids.
SPACE : ★★★☆☆
In terms of space the parking lot was fine, plenty of room. I like having it on the grass field, but it would have been a bit better if they could have defined their spaces a bit more and lined all of the vendors up a bit better to make it more orderly. Maybe it is the NYer in me, but i like the blocks to be straight, numbered and logical. Just makes everything a bit easier for my tiny mind to comprehend. :)



PRICES : ★★★☆☆
Compared to the other bike swap meet i went to and the prices on Craigslist and eBay, the prices were so so. There were a few good deals, but for the most part it was a little higher priced than the previous bike show I went to in south jersey.
Extras : ★☆☆☆☆
Extras I am defining as those little things, food vendors, a contest for best in show, sponsors and an MC who brings it all together. This show was lacking all of that and really felt like a flea market of bike stuff rather than an event. It did have the firehouse restroom which was useful. :)There was also a food stand ["house"? i guess] which I didnt try, but my dad who is probably the least picky eater on the planet and i personally in 30+ years have ever heard him complain, said it was the worst coffee he has ever had. I cant even imagine what that coffee was like.
the fire potty
Bikes : ★★★☆☆

The most important part! There were hundreds of bicycles. A lot of Schwinn Krates from two guys, some ballooners, some middle weights, a handful of terrible folders [ I was hoping to find a roadpuppy! ] and a little bit of everything inbetween. Given the build up before the event i was really hoping to be overwhelmed by the choice, prices variety, but I wasn't. I did find a 1939 Schwinn new World I could have picked up for $75 [ yes i am still kicking myself ]
Overall : ★★★☆☆
I enjoyed the time at the event. Having it on grass was nice. Lots of bikes, just not all the type I was looking for. Lots of parts as well for those looking for something. Food was so so and getting there was pretty straight forward. I will definitely give it another go next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment